Monday, January 27, 2014

Curse of Crossing Chapter 7



Curse of Crossing
Chapter 7
Ben
4 years later
I hear the voice coming from the other side, but I know I’m dreaming or hallucinating from lack of oxygen. It’s cold, dark, and feels like the air is being sucked out of my body. I lay down on the cold floor knowing I will be with my parents soon. For some reason I’m not that sad about dying if it means being with them again. I close my eyes and resign myself to the fate of death. It gets harder and harder to breath and now I’m gasping for air. I draw my last breath.
That’s when I feel a warm hand on my face. I’m able to open my eyes a little to see my beautiful Lizzy staring into my eyes. She is lying beside of me and we are face to face. I will miss her. She rubs my face with her hand and leans in to kiss me. Her lips are soft and warm against mine. I feel her sweet kiss and the warmth it sends through out my body. That’s impossible if she’s just my imagination. Lizzy moves her body into mine, moves her hand from my face, and wraps her arm around me. The cold is gone. All I feel now is my sweet, warm, and gorgeous Lizzy. We deepen our kiss. She feels heavenly. I pull back to get another look and when I open my eyes I see her smiling at me. Then I notice there is a pillow under her head. What is going on?
She puts her hand back on my face and whispers, “You were having another nightmare about being in the hidden room. You’re fine my love and safe here with me.” She pulls my face back to hers to kiss me again.
I sigh in relief, “Thank you for rescuing me that day. Have I told you lately that I love you?”
She giggles, “Not in the last few hours, no.”
“Well then that’s a few too many hours. I love you my beautiful, sweet, and loving Lizzy.” I go back to kissing her like I have never kissed her before.
Truth is I never thought I would kiss her again on that fateful day four years ago. When I heard her voice and saw that fireplace door open, I bolted. I crawled out as fast as I could, ran down the steps, and out of the front door. After I got on the porch I took the biggest breath of fresh air I have ever taken, then my stomach revolted. I barely managed to make it to the banister before I leaned over and threw up. The entire day came flooding back through my head; finding my parent’s bodies was too much. After I was finished vomiting, tears flooded my eyes. My legs gave out and I landed on my butt. I pulled my knees into my chest and finally cried for the first time since my parents disappeared a year ago. I felt Lizzy behind me before she even touched me. She put her hand on my shoulder and handed me a tissue. She never spoke a word. She just sat behind me, allowed my body to lay back on hers, and let me cry. Later the police showed up and my parents were removed from the room. Lizzy closed the room back up. All I wanted to do was get out of town, but Lizzy insisted I walk around the property with her before I went back to Ohio. She took me to the back corner of the property. All I saw were trees until she pointed. Then I saw the gravestones. We walked over and that’s when I noticed all of the gravestones of four generations of Crossing men. All of them died an untimely death and all of their wives were buried next to them. Except for one which was the first Benjamin Eugene Crossing and he’s buried next to an Elizabeth Wright. I looked at Lizzy in confusion. That’s when she told me of the curse her great, great, great grandmother had supposedly put on the Crossing men.
The next day I had my parent’s remains buried with all of the other Crossings. Now there are five generations of Crossings buried in the small cemetery behind the Crossing house. I went back to Ohio shortly after their funeral. It was not my intention to return back to Crossings, but I kept feeling the pull. It wasn’t my family that brought me back, it was Lizzy. My heart ached the six months I was in Ohio. She sent me a couple of texts, but I never responded. For those six months I was miserable and had locked myself in my house. Then, I received a text after having just awoken from the horrible nightmare of being trapped in that room at the Crossing house. It was Lizzy asking me what I wanted to do about the house because there was a couple that wanted to buy it. Then there was one last text that got me out of my bed, packed, and back to Crossing. My heart will forever be yours!
I didn’t text back, I just drove. When I got back to Crossing I was going to go straight to her mom’s office, but I something led me to my family home. When I got to the end of that long drive, she was on the front porch waiting for me. I’m not even sure I turned the car off. I jumped out, ran up on the front porch, and pulled Lizzy into my arms. She’s been in my arms ever since.
“What are you thinking about?” Lizzy says as she caresses my face.
“You, always you Elizabeth Josephine Crossing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment